Candle Care & Safety Instructions
To ensure you have a long lasting, full-fragrance soy candle you should know the following information:
1. CREATE A BURN MEMORY
When lighting a soy candle for the first time, allow the wax to melt all the way to the sides of the container. The first burn of the candle should last as long as it takes to reach all the way to the edges of the container. This will give you maximum fragrance and an even burn. If you do not allow the wax to pool on the first burn, you may get wax remaining along the sides of the container. Ideally, candles should not be left to burn continuously for more than four (4) hours.
2. TRIM THE WICK
Soy wax does not burn as hot as paraffin wax; therefore, soy wax candles require a thicker wick, which does not burn 100% and needs to be trimmed regularly. Always trim the wick to about 6-8mm before you re-light your candle. This will ensure a long lasting candle, minimize soot, and remove any mushrooming of the wick left from previous burns. But be sure to not over-trim the wick, as you may not be able to re-light your candle if it is too short. If you do not trim the wick regularly, if the candle is in a draft, or is left to burn too long, you may get a “mushroom” of carbon on the end of the wick. This may cause soot to collect on the inside of the container. If this happens, extinguish your candle, wait for it to cool, wipe off the carbon marks with a clean damp cloth and re-light.
3. DO NOT BLOW OUT
Extinguish your candle by dipping the wick into the melted wax and straighten. This will stop the wick from smoking and will help with re-lighting the next time.
4. LEAVE 1 CM OF WAX
Towards the end of your candle's life, please leave around 1 cm of wax at the bottom to finish. Please do not let the wick continue to burn once the wax has almost evaporated. This can cause your flame to heat the glass directly which could, in turn, cause the glass to smash.
5. CHECK GLASS
It is important, before lighting a candle, to check the glass container for any hairline cracks. The heat from the wax could cause vulnerable glass to further crack. This may pose a fire hazard.
Please remember the candles are hand poured, not mass-produced. Although all effort is made to ensure consistency, every candle will be slightly different. When using completely natural soy wax, you may notice darker patches or wet spots in your container candles. This is not a fault; it is simply a small blemish where the wax has not perfectly adhered to the glass. This does not affect the candle in any way. The top of your candle may also appear slightly uneven; this is also a sign of natural soy wax being hand-poured. Do not leave your candle in direct sunlight as it may turn yellow in colour. This will not affect the safety, smell, or life of the candle in any way.
7. NEVER LEAVE A LIT CANDLE UNATTENDED
Candles left unattended can burn dry, causing the glass to overheat. The glass might also shatter if conditions permit, once the wax has run dry. As Candles are an open flame, you cannot leave these unattended, especially around children.